The story of OLSH College begins earlier than its foundation in 1913. The Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart was formed in Issoudun, France in 1874. Their founder, Fr Jules Chevalier, believed that education of girls was the means to convey the message of Jesus’ love to young people and inspire them to make a significant contribution to society.
In 1884, Mother Superior Marie Louise Hartzer was instrumental in sending five Sisters to the Oceanic Missions.
When the first section of the new convent was completed in 1897, a small combined Primary and Secondary College was conducted in the convent premises. The College was co-educational.
A continual growth in the number of students led to the construction of a new College building erected in 1913 where the Brendan Wing now stands. Records indicate that 1927 was the last year for the enrolment of boys at the College. The primary section was discontinued at the end of 1953. From then on the primary aged students attended Our Lady of the Rosary Parish Primary School. The College joined the emerging Archdiocesan system in 1966 and the first lay Principal joined the College in 1995 following the departure of the last religious College Principal, Sister Mary Fyfe.
The College celebrated its Centenary in 2013. The most recent section of the College – the Hartzer Centre – was officially opened in 2014, named after Mother Marie Louise Hartzer, First Superior General of the Congregation of the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart.